How to make a baby
How to make a baby sleep / How to make baby sleep
Becoming a parent is one of the most fulfilling experiences of one’s life. Having a baby brings about
a major change in your life and teaches you all sorts of lessons. It is life’s way of making us more
responsible, to take care of another human being who is still so small as to take care of herself.
Nothing beats a good night’s rest and this is especially true for babies. All new parents face the dilemma
of how to make baby sleep. Babies wake up at night for reasons galore. Here are a few tried and tested
tips which would prove very useful in putting your little one to sleep.
1. Establish a bedtime pattern and stick to it – Babies, who sleep till late, tend to stay awake till
late at night. Set a fixed time at night to start putting the baby to bed and in the morning, after
atleast 8 hours of sleep, wake her up. Include short naps of 1-2 hours in the evening, around 4
pm. This will keep the baby fresh and happy and definitely less cranky during bedtime.
2.Feeding routine – Breastfeeding is typically recommended for babies till up to 5-6 months. It gives them all the required nutrition which their body needs. Breastfeeding is the best way to start your baby’s feeding habits. It is not only good for the baby but also for the mother. Breast milk contains the right amount of lipids (fats), vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, non-protein nitrogen compounds interferon and other enzymes which not only provide nutrition necessary for a growing child but also helps to fight infections.
3. Loose Clothes – Always stick to some loose and comfortable clothes for your baby. Comfort
while sleeping is the most important factor. Use loose cotton clothes as much as possible.
4. Keep Baby Clean and dry – Letting your baby stay wet can turn out to be a nightmare for you.
Nobody is comfortable sleeping in wet clothes and babies are no exception. Use diapers and
make your baby pee before making her sleep. Ensure that your baby is clean and dry so that you
both can enjoy good night sleep.
5. Peaceful environment – Try to keep the baby’s room as quiet as possible. Ensure complete
silence in your surroundings. Sometimes even the slightest noise can awaken your baby. So,
limit the noise as much as you can.
6. Comfortable Temperature – Keep the baby under optimal temperature. Keep the temperature
under control by using fans, AC (if living in areas with higher temperature) or heating appliances
(if in cooler areas). Whatever the area is, keep the temperature under control. Cover your baby
7. Use mosquito repellants – Try to keep baby away from mosquitoes. Use mosquito nets or any
other means to keep them away. It’ll keep your baby healthy and will help him sleep peacefully.
8. Sleeping posture – Over a period of time observe which position suits your baby the best.
Babies develop sleeping positions over time. Try to make your baby sleep in his desired position.
9. Holding in arms – If baby isn’t sleeping for a long time, hold her in your arms and walk through
the hall and other rooms. Give her a ride and at the same time keep on gently patting her back
till she sleeps.
10. Place your baby carefully – When placing the baby back in crib, avoid placing her directly
within the blanket. Most of the time, baby cheeks are hot and blanket’s surface is cooler. This
difference in temperature can make your baby get up and make it a nightmare for you. So, rub
the blanket’s surface for some time and then cover your baby with it.
11. Soft toys – Keep some soft toys near your baby. Avoid using the soft toys with rough fabric.
Purchase a soft toy with smooth fabric and cotton. Let your baby enjoy the smoothness of the